Homecoming is one of the school year’s biggest events and is a tradition in many high schools. It’s a warm way to welcome back students and kick off the year with some fun activities. It usually includes a week of special events such as a big celebratory football game, a dance, pep rallies and often other fun stuff such as a parade with your school’s marching band, a dress-up theme for the day and even crowning a Homecoming king or queen.
This a very memorable and fun-filled occasion, that is worth attending for many reasons. You can join in on the special events with your friends and make long-lasting memories. You can show off your talents, creativity – or your fashion sense.
One of the best parts of Homecoming is the organized dance. You can go with a date or a group of close friends. You get to dress up, dance the night away and relax before the school year properly kicks off.
If you’re in your final year of high school, it’s particularly important to enjoy this school event while you can. You may even be selected as Homecoming Queen as part of the Homecoming court!
Choosing a dress is one of the most fun parts of this special event – you get to express your style and let loose before studying hard in the year to come. You may be wondering – what kind of dress do you wear to Homecoming? What does a Homecoming dress look like? There are many options and it also depends a little on your own school.
How to Choose a Dress for Homecoming?
When choosing a Homecoming dress, first check with your school and the event. Are there any themes or dress guidelines you’ll need to follow? Some schools like to set a certain themed look – for example, ‘Old Hollywood’, or prefer to set a dress code so everyone is dressed appropriately.
If there are no guidelines to consider and the dress code is open, you’re entirely free to select a dress that you love and expresses your own sense of style. Simply check to find out if its a low key dance(casual), or semi-formal. This will help you figure out the right kind of dress.
Here are a few points to keep in mind while shopping:
- Most teens wear short or midi length dresses to homecoming, saving their long formal dresses for prom night.
- Short dresses should still be semi-formal – a ‘dressy’ style that has some sparkle, embellishment or detail to make it look elegant and glamorous.
- Choose your dress first – and find your perfect shoes or bag to match after.
- Try before you buy – make sure you try on a few different dress styles and get a good feel for what flatters your shape.
- Browse online and give yourself plenty of time to order your dress in advance – this gives you room for error if your dress doesn’t fit when it arrives in store, or needs to be changed for any reason.
Homecoming Dress Trends for 2018
There are lots of very fashion-forward ways to dress up for homecoming. You can work in some of the biggest trends into your look for the night. This can be done by opting for an on-trend dress style, or completing your look with an on-trend accessory such as a statement clutch, a certain pair of heels – or even a dramatic makeup look you’ve spotted on Instagram.
There are a few stand-out dress trends that are clearly ruling for homecoming (and parties) this year. These cute short dresses are all about full-on glam and unique textures.
Velvet dresses – are one of the biggest trends. Choose a unique color and keep accessories simple to make the biggest impact.
Metallic and sequin dresses – opt for a sparkling sequin cocktail dress or metallic fabric dress in silver, gold or gunmetal to make a big fashion statement.
Floral fit and flare dresses – If you prefer a more delicate, girly look, the floral fit and flare dress is where it’s at. This can be combined with cute blush or beige accessories for a soft and pretty homecoming look.
Minimal clean-line dresses – Choose a simple dress with one bold feature such as a shoulder ruffle, a unique neckline or an open back. Clean lines and a simple dress means the focus is completely on you, your shape – and your accessories.
Completing Your Homecoming Look
Once you have the perfect dress and it fits flawlessly – its time to consider the rest of your look. Remember, follow your own style, and complete your outfit in a way that is both stylish and comfortable. Here are a few simple tips to keep in mind:
- Not everyone wears heels – flats or sandals can look just as cute with a short dress. If you do choose heels, on-trend block heels offer more support and can be an easier to wear option if you’ll be on your feet all night.
- Keep makeup fresh and glowing – nothing ruins a great look more than over-done makeup or an experimental makeup look gone wrong. Test out your ideas beforehand and take test photographs to make sure your makeup looks great.
- D.I.Y. hair – choose a simple, easy to maintain hairstyle that you can do yourself at home. Sleek and straight hair is a popular choice. You could experiment with a side parting or try a braided tutorial – just make sure to hairspray everything into place so it stays looking great on the night.
- Accessories are key! A great bag or unique shoes will set you apart. The dress may be the focal point, but finding the perfect finishing touches also makes a big difference.