Understanding the Role of the Mother of the Bride

When it comes to weddings, the bride and groom are undoubtedly the stars of the show, but another role holds significant importance: the mother of the bride (MOB). The MOB is not just a proud parent; she's a pivotal figure in the celebration, embodying the grace and elegance of the family. Mother of the Bride dresses are specially designed outfits that allow moms to shine without upstaging their daughters on this monumental day.

Considerations for Choosing a Mother of the Bride Dress

Selecting the perfect MOB dress is about balancing personal style and the wedding's theme. These dresses come in a spectrum of styles, from the height of formal elegance to contemporary chic. It's essential to consider the wedding's color scheme, as these dresses are typically chosen to complement it. Moreover, the MOB often coordinates with the mother of the groom to ensure a harmonious look, avoiding the bridal white to keep the spotlight on the bride.

Season and Venue: Dressing Appropriately

The season and venue play a crucial role in selecting a MOB dress. A breezy chiffon gown may be perfect for a beach wedding, while a satin or velvet number might be more appropriate for a winter event. "Approximately 79% of mothers choose to wear a dress for their daughter's wedding," and the setting and climate often inform these choices.

Silhouette Options for Mother of the Bride Dresses

The silhouette of a MOB dress should flatter the wearer's figure. Options range from elegant sheath dresses to flowing A-line gowns. While "62% of mothers opt for knee-length dresses," the remaining "38% prefer floor-length gowns," showcasing the variety available. Designers offer a range of silhouettes to suit every body type and preference.

Neckline and Sleeve Styles: Finding the Right Fit

Necklines and sleeves can define the dress's look. With "41% of mothers choosing a V-neck" and "33% opting for a scoop neck," there's a clear preference for classic, flattering cuts. Sleeves can vary from strapless to full-length, depending on the desired coverage and style.

Color and Fabric Choices

Navy blue emerges as a favorite, with "25% of mothers" choosing it for its elegance and versatility. Popular fabrics include "silk and lace, the preferred choices for 42% and 37% of mothers, respectively." These materials offer a luxurious feel and sophisticated look, perfect for the occasion.

Accessories to Complement Your Dress

Accessories are the finishing touches that can elevate a MOB dress from beautiful to stunning. Jewelry, shoes, and even a tasteful jacket or shawl can complete the ensemble. The key is to choose accessories that harmonize with the dress and add a personal touch without overwhelming the look.

Shopping Tips for Mother of the Bride Dresses

When shopping for a MOB dress, start early to allow for a relaxed experience. Visit stores with a dedicated MOB collection and don't hesitate to ask for assistance. "On average, mothers spend around 4.7 hours searching for the perfect dress," so take your time to explore your options. Online shopping can also be a convenient way to browse a wider selection.

Alterations and Tailoring: Ensuring a Perfect Fit

A tailored fit can make all the difference. "91% of mothers feel more confident when wearing a tailored or custom-made dress." Alterations ensure the dress compliments your body perfectly, making you feel as fabulous as you look.

Etiquette and Style Guidelines for Mothers of the Bride

The MOB's dress should be chosen carefully, respecting the wedding's formality and aesthetic. While the bride may have suggestions, it's also important that the MOB feels comfortable and confident. After all, "over 95% of mothers consider comfort the most important factor when choosing a dress."

In conclusion, the mother of the bride dress is a symbol of love and support on one of life's most cherished days. With the right style, color, and fit, the MOB can feel like a queen, watching her daughter begin a new chapter. Whether it's a sleek navy sheath or a beaded champagne gown, the perfect dress awaits to make the wedding day as memorable for the mother as it is for her daughter.

Popular styles:

  • A-line
  • Sheath
  • Ball gown
  • Mermaid
  • Trumpet

When to start shopping:

  • Six months in advance

Appropriate colors:

  • Navy blue
  • Burgundy
  • Emerald green
  • Dark gray
  • Black

Dress codes:

  • Formal
  • Semi-formal
  • Black tie optional

Patterned dress:

  • Yes, but avoid anything too flashy or attention-grabbing.


  • Floor-length
  • Knee-length
  • Tea-length

Design elements:

  • Empire waistline
  • V-neckline
  • A-line silhouette
  • Wrap dress

Coordinating with the wedding color scheme:

  • It's a nice gesture, but not required.

Latest trends:

  • Metallic fabrics
  • Floral prints
  • Off-the-shoulder necklines
  • High slits