You’re all squared away with your budget and to do list. Now, it’s time to talk about planning your actual prom experience. Prom will be made memorable by the people you spend it with.
Regardless of what clique you hung out with in high school, prom night is for everyone. You just have to surround yourselves with your tribe.
Finding Your Prom Tribe
Your tribe includes those nearest and dearest to you. The people you have spent the last four years laughing with and crying with. Those who you call your closest friends.
Sometimes teens focus so much on finding the perfect date to bring to prom. They forget the most important people around them – their BFFs. Making sure you include them is essential.
You may have a boyfriend. Your crush could ask you to prom, – or you gather up the courage to ask out that cute shy guy from Chemistry, that’s awesome. You are living the typical prom dream.
But if you find yourself without a date as prom looms closer, do not stress out! Don’t force yourself to ask someone you don’t really want to be there with. Prom is the night that you will make so many fun memories with those around you.
Make sure you surround yourself with your absolute favorite people. You will ensure you have the best prom night ever. You can surround yourself with all your girls, or get a co-ed group of friends together!
Plan a fun family-style meal, spring for a limo bus with loud music to get amped for the night to come, and ring in your senior prom in style. No date, no problem!
A new trend with modern high school teens is taking effect – alternative prom. This is also sometimes called anti-prom. Anti-prom has become a safe haven for those who attend schools where kids are not as inclusive and friendly.
It has been created for self-professed outsiders. Those who have no desire to pay so much money to attend the school dance. Alternative anti-proms can be a viable option.
Alternative proms have gained so much momentum as they have grown into larger events. They had humble beginnings. Many students who felt they didn’t fit into the old school prom-going stereotype simple opted out.
They instead planned a fun fancy night with their best friends at their home! This movement has since burgeoned into a larger affair. At its core it’s about making people feel included and happy.
We think that finding your own prom tribe is the best way to ensure you feel comfortable and included on prom night. If you feel that your school’s prom won’t be a great environment for you and your group of friends, plan your own anti-prom. Get all dressed up and rock out with your besties, -even if it’s in the comfort of your own home.
How to Plan Your Prom Day
The typical prom night program goes as follows. Get ready (show off that prom dress!), take pictures, eat dinner, attend prom, and go to the after prom party. It may seem a little expected.
However, there are a million fun ways you can inject your own personality into the process. You can have a blast while doing so. Here’s one take on how you can kick things up a notch in the prom fun department:
- Start Off Super Early – Kick off prom morning with a big breakfast or brunch out at your favorite spot with the girls. Or, host a brunch with sparkling apple cider and orange juice mocktail mimosas and a big spread of delicious breakfast foods. Turn on some fun dance music and get each other amped for the fun night ahead. You only get one (or two) chances at prom. Make it memorable and stretch out your enjoyment of the day!
- Getting Ready – Pitch in with your girlfriends to hire a hair and make-up artist for the day. Take turns getting glammed up while you sip on mocktails. Watch an all-day marathon of your favorite shows. Or, get your DVR cued up with an all-day marathon of classic Prom themed movies. Pretty in Pink and Mean Girls, anyone? You can take selfies in your prom dress and capture the fun ahead of time. That’s before the big event even starts.
- Professional Photographer – Mom and dad will undoubtedly be wielding their cameras come prom night. Dad’s blurry pics are not exactly professional grade. Why not have everyone in your group pitch in $50 to pay for a professional photographer for one hour? You’ve spent all this time, money and effort on creating your perfect prom night look. Commemorate it with beautiful high quality photos you can cherish and hold onto forever.
- Pimp My Ride – Spending a fortune on your transportation? If you’re booking a limousine, it’s likely you are already dropping a few hundred dollars for your ride. Go big by renting a classic car for you and your date (a parent will likely have to drive it). Alternatively, rent a big yellow school bus that fits you and 30 of your closest friends. Or try a luxury shuttle with a disco ball, blaring speakers and lounge seats. When you think outside the old school prom box, you can personalize your prom experience and have so much more fun.
- Go Rogue For Prom Dinner – Who made up the rule that fancy restaurants get to be the prom night dining destination? Go rogue and make alternative prom dinner plans. Keep more dollars in your pocket by hitting up your favorite local food truck. Just remember to bring along a bunch of comfy large blankets so you can set up nearby and chow down on your favorite grub. If food trucks are a little too low-key, host a potluck or grab dinner. This can be held at a family style restaurant where large dishes are shared. It’s a fun, convivial way to share food that is anything but boring.
- Host the Best Afterparty Ever – Is the lack of prom party options getting you down for post prom? Don’t despair – plan your own best night ever. Pool your funds with your best friends and rent a bounce house. Set up fun games on the lawn (croquet, life size Jenga, lawn bowling and horseshoes). Put a table together with card games and board games. Set your favorite music station up to play via Pandora and a speaker system. Host late night food (did anyone order ten pepperoni pizzas?) and beverages for your nearest and dearest. If you have a pool in your yard, ask everyone to bring their bathing suits and a towel so you an have a midnight pool party. Spring for a few larger than life floaties in the form of pineapples, donuts and swans to add pizzaz. It’ll be a night no one will soon forget.
Whatever You Do, Be YOU-nique
Regardless of your prom night plans, remember to make it your own. If you prefer a quiet night in watching movies and eating popcorn with your besties, do it. But before you give up on prom completely, don’t forget to think outside the box and break the mould.
You can craft the most unforgettably amazing high school prom night. Simply by including your favorite people, customizing your prom experience, and planning well ahead of time.