- Uncovering the Timeless Appeal of Why Evening Dresses Will Never Go Out of Style - September 11, 2023
- The Perfect Evening Dress for Weddings: Dos and Don’ts for 2024 - September 11, 2023
- An Overview of Traditional vs Contemporary Evening Dresses - September 11, 2023
The prom 2020 season is only around the corner, and it’s always good to begin shopping for your dream prom dress as soon as possible. Prom dresses are no longer what might spring to mind from watching teen movies of the past!
For 2020, designs are modern, glamorous and inspired by red carpet style. It’s about channeling your inner star and feeling like you’re about to walk into a movie premiere.
As dresses have changed so much over the years, so has the way teens tend to shop. Now, you’ve got a whole world of choice at your fingertips and can browse entire collections online first. You can see what your favorite influencers and Youtubers wore to their prom, or just gather together a Pinterest board of beautiful dresses and accessories that you love.
When it’s finally time to shop at a physical retailer store, you’re more informed about the type of dress you want. You can gather a wide range of inspiration and already know what style you want to go for.
That being said, it can still be hard to make the final decision and know what truly works best for you. You want a perfect prom dress that fits like a glove and makes you feel unique, beautiful and comfortable.
With that in mind, we’re here to guide you through prom dresses 2020. Everything you need to know about picking a fashion-forward dress such as the most popular and pretty necklines, styles and design elements for the season.
The final choice is ultimately up to you, and you should always feel like the dress you pick is a good reflection of who you are!
Top Prom Dress Necklines
One of the most important features of any dress is the neckline. It can be as understated or attention-grabbing as you want, as revealing or modest as you feel comfortable with. Here are some of the biggest neckline/bodice trends for 2020. These are the most common you’ll find in many dress collections, although you can easily find any type that you find is best flattering for you too.
- V-Neck – This simple v-shaped neckline is big news this season, especially when teamed with simple spaghetti straps. These narrow shoulder straps have a trendy early 00s feel that is simple yet stylish. Another big pro is that this is an easy neckline to wear, just add a typical strapless bra underneath.
- Plunging Halter – Sexy and daring, the plunging halterneck can often allow for a completely backless dress or might featured criss-cross back straps. This style of neckline looks very glamorous and shows off a little cleavage, without being too over-the-top.
- Sheer Illusion – The sheer neckline means that the true neckline is composed of sheer fabric, while another shape is composed of embellishment, applique, etc. This looks really modern and striking, while also offering easy support.
- Straight Strapless – While the classic sweetheart is still a pretty look for prom, a straight strapless neckline has seen a surge in popularity for this year. It offers a very minimal yet elegant option that is also effortless to wear all night long.
- Crew Neck – the high crew neck is very modest and sophisticated, especially when teamed with long sleeves and a bodycon silhouette.
- Off-the-Shoulder – An off-the-shoulder bodice can be teamed up with a few neckline styles and is another very popular look for 2020.
Trendy Design Features for 2020
For 2020, the perfect dress is one that flaunts your fashion sense! That means including some of the top features that everyone is going crazy for this season. Here’s a rundown of the ones to look out for:
Sequin Embellishment – Sequin dresses are one of the biggest prom trend for 2020! These glamorous embellishments are everywhere and in a wide range of colors. You can go timeless in silver, rose gold or gold. You can shine bright in a mix of shades or jewel tones such as royal blue. Sequins can be just a small feature on the bodice or a dress can be fully embellished from head-to-toe. The choice is up to you!
High Slits – We’re all about recreating that famous Angelina Jolie red carpet leg slit moment. High leg slits are a favorite feature for 2020, and a great way to show off just a glimpse of your legs/shoes.
Backless Dresses – Backless dresses are the new way to put skin on display without being too revealing. This can be fully open or include strappy criss-cross details, cut-outs, etc. There’s a huge variety of options and this is a unique way to make your dress choice stand out.
Metallic/Glitter Fabrics – Sparkly prom dresses are where it’s at! If you don’t like sequins, you can alternatively pick a metallic or glitter fabric to pick up on a similar vibe.
Classic Ballgowns – The A-line gown style has returned to become a top trend and make you feel like a modern princess. Look out for beautiful styles with sheer floral applique bodices or spaghetti straps. This is a great look if you need a plus size prom dress.
How to Choose the Perfect Dress
- Try on lots of dress styles – The more variety of dresses you try on, the more you’ll get a sense for what suits you. Stay open-minded and try on even the types of dresses you wouldn’t usually consider. You can even try a prom jumpsuit or two-piece. You might be surprised by how flattering they are. Take photos as you try on different looks, and ask your friends for a second opinion!
- Get the right fit – The right fit is essential. If you don’t know what size you are or where to begin, book an appointment at a local store. The staff can then dedicate their time to helping you get measured and selecting the right size/silhouette type for you.
- Have it altered if you need – Although you might find the right size, sometimes your dream dress might need a little altering to fit like a glove in areas such as the chest, waist or hips. If there’s room for improvement, take your dress to a seamstress to make the fit even more flawless.
- Pick a color and style that’s all about you – You should base your choices on what looks great on you, so make sure the color and silhouette are flattering and not only just about fashion trends!