The countdown to prom is on and the build-up to the big day is all a part of the excitement that makes this night special! You might already have your prom gown chosen, planned your makeup and hair, bought your accessories. You’re ready for the event itself.
However, you’re probably wondering what exactly happens when the day comes, and on prom night? You’ve never experienced it before and – well, prom nights are famous for being unpredictable if movies are anything to go by! We’re going to unwrap some of the mystery surrounding prom and give you some idea of what to expect on prom night.
No two proms will ever be the same and can turn out to be very different experiences. There are a few standard occurrences that you’ll likely encounter on this important occasion and milestone into adulthood. A prom almost always includes the following timeline of events.
The Prom Day
When the day itself arrives, you’ll likely spend most of your hours preparing. If you want to be ready for this, plan a loose schedule to make sure you have time for everything you need to get done. This could include any hair and makeup appointments if you’re using professionals, beauty treatments and nail art you want to squeeze in.
Don’t forget to have a healthy energy-boosting meal before you leave the house. You don’t want to feel tired or sleepy on the night itself! You’ll want to feel energetic and wide awake as you go through this experience.
When you’ve completed hair and makeup, and put on your dress, accessories and anything else – it might be photo time. It’s typical for parents to want to take some of their own photos so prepare to pose for the camera. This might happen in your home, in a garden or a park.
Your friends may now join you for some fun group photos, or your date might arrive to pick you up! Get ready to add a corsage to your outfit and take even more fun-filled snaps with your date before you take off. You might also hire a professional photographer to commemorate your prom, so be ready and make sure you have plenty of time set aside for the photo-taking process.
Don’t forget to check with your parents about your curfew and double check your transport. You’ll need a safe ride to and from prom, and don’t want your parents worriedly calling you as you enjoy your night. Let them know your after prom plans if you’re expecting to attend a party later on in the night.
Grab your phone, clutch and any other essentials. This could include makeup, hair products, back-up battery, camera, etc. You’re on the way to prom and your special night has finally arrived!
Enter your venue with your date or friends and prepare for a lot of fun. Your night will include eating, dancing the night away and chatting with all of your friends and classmates. This night was made to be a social event, so try to pass on your greetings and well-wishes to even those you don’t often get to talk to.
During the night, you’ll hit the dance floor, take lots of photos of your group and probably a whole bunch of selfies too! At some point, a Prom King and Queen will be crowned and given the dance floor to celebrate their special honor!
If your prom committee has hired a professional photographer, you may also pose for a prom photo with your date or friends. Be ready for any photos and don’t forget to check up on your hair/makeup at least once just in case! You can always carry a compact mirror in your bag for quick makeup top-ups.
Prom After Party
After prom, there is usually an after party to attend, which might be at a friend or classmate’s house. With the formal event wrapped up, you can relax and enjoy the less formal atmosphere of the night. Make sure you know when you’ll be going home and plan ahead so you have somewhere safe to stay if you won’t return home that night.
- Be prepared. The whole prom experience is talked up so much and can be overwhelming, be ready for anything and know what your day will hold. This might mean having a timetable ready for the day itself. You should also make any after party plans beforehand so your night doesn’t spin out of control. A prom plan is essential!
- Have fun! This may be a formal event, but it’s essentially about having a great time and filling your night with happy memories. Let go and just let the night unfold naturally.
- Take lots of photos but live in the moment. You may want to capture every second of your prom night, but don’t be glued to your phone. Make sure you take photos with all of your friends and date, but put down your phone and live in the moment too!
- Bring your essentials. Don’t forget to fill your clutch with everything. If you don’t know what to pack, check out our handy prom bag checklist.
- Don’t let alcohol ruin your night – there are too many prom horror stories so don’t let yours become one of them.
- Don’t ignore your date! You’ve picked your date for a reason, and although you may want to spend time with your friends, be sure to introduce your date to everyone and make sure he doesn’t feel left out, especially if he doesn’t go to your school and has never met anyone at your prom before.
- Don’t destroy your dress. Your prom dress probably cost a lot of money, so take good care of it and try to avoid spilling or staining that gorgeous gown.
- Don’t worry. Although this can be a stressful night that has taken a lot of time and effort to prepare for, remember it’s just one night and try to simple relax and enjoy it. This night doesn’t determine your future, it’s simply about celebrating your years in high school.
- Don’t over-do your makeup. While you should express your style and complement your dress with an amazing makeup look, if you create an over-the-top makeup look, you’ll spend a lot of time maintaining it and topping up the products. Keeping makeup natural looking (you can still add a statement lip or eyeshadow) will be less time-consuming to take care of on the night.