How to Choose Prom Underwear & Shapewear for Under Your Dress
With the new school year starting, you may already be getting excited for your prom night. It’s never too early to begin planning your perfect look for prom 2020, especially now when there is less pressure, exams, and homework.
Take the time to plan a mood board of your favorite dresses and see what the new collections have to offer. This way, you’ll get ahead of other shoppers and have something to refer to when you feel too overwhelmed with choice.
Finding the right prom dress is only half of the preparation – there are so many other elements to consider. One aspect that shouldn’t be overlooked is planning the right underwear and shapewear to go under your dress.
This is especially important if you’re wearing a very fitted or sheer gown, but something you should consider no matter how modest your dress is. No one wants a visible underwear line!
We’re here to guide you through picking the right pieces to go under any type of dress. This can also be used for any other type of formal occasion or party when you want to look your best.
Dresses are increasingly becoming red carpet inspired, which means you’ll need to steal some red carpet tips to stay tactically covered, even when your dress seems to be quite revealing.
That means you don’t have to shy away from sexy prom dresses, but simply team them with the right underwear to make sure no accidental slips can happen. That way, you can relax on your prom night and still feel like a star. You can feel secure and still wear any dress style you want!
How to Choose Underwear and Shapewear for Prom
- First, pick your dress. The type of dress you’re wearing will determine what you’ll need to wear underneath. You need to try it on to discover what type of neckline it has, how sheer it is, and if your underwear is visible underneath. Take note of areas that you need to pay attention to and find the right underwear for.
- Make sure you’re supported. Some prom dresses come with built-in bra cups and bust support. This could mean you might not need to wear a bra. Try on your dress both with and without to see if you need the extra support and structure under the dress.
- Choose according to the neckline. If you do need a bra, you need to pick one that sits underneath the neckline of your dress and doesn’t show any lines. That means a plain t-shirt style bra is your best bet. If it’s a sweetheart dress, look for a simple strapless bra. If it’s a halter dress, you’ll find many halter bras that can work.
- Consider the back. If your dress is backless or sheer, you’ll need to take that into consideration too. There are several options that will work for a backless dress, including adhesive bras and backless bras. If you don’t need the additional support, you can also choose to go braless.
- Make sure you’re covered. If you do go braless and you’re wearing a very sheer or plunging dress, make sure you are covered. It’s a great idea to buy some nipple covers just to feel more assured on the night. You can also tape the plunging neckline with double-sided tape onto your chest. This is a popular red carpet styling hack that can keep your dress from slipping.
- Pick flesh-toned seamless underwear. Your underwear for prom should be flesh-toned, so even if it does peek through, no one will notice and it won’t ruin your photos. Try to match your skin tone as closely as you can. Make sure all of the underwear fits you well, and so looks very seamless when on under your dress.
- Use shapewear to conceal, and enhance your curves. Shapewear can work wonders, and it’s easy to see why many celebrities slip into shapewear under their red carpet dresses. It can provide that extra slimming illusion and cover any unfavorable lumps and bumps in an instant. Before investing, go and try on different types. Choose shapewear that conceals what you’d prefer not to show off. There are many different types have a variety of functions, from hiding your stomach to showing off your narrow waist. If you already love how your dress looks without it, you simply don’t need it!
Prom Underwear – Your Questions – Answered!
Still not sure what’s a good choice for under your prom dress? Here are some of the top prom underwear questions answered to help clear up any uncertainty!
Are you supposed to wear a bra with a prom dress?
It’s completely up to you! You can wear a bra if you need the structure or support, or simply feel more comfortable wearing one. It’s also ok to not wear a bra under your prom dress, as long as you feel covered and secured during your prom night. The choice is ultimately up to you!
What do you wear underneath a prom dress?
Wear seamless nude or flesh-toned underwear under your prom dress. Make sure you try your chosen underwear on with the dress before the big night to see if it’s all hidden under the dress, without any visible lines or bumps showing through the fabric.
What do you wear under a ball gown?
A ball gown usually has a fitted bodice, so you’ll want to pick a bra based on the neckline and back of the dress. Many strapless or sheer ballgown bodices come with built-in bra cups to make it easier to wear without a bra. The panties you pick shouldn’t be visible under the flared skirt, but it’s still a good idea to wear a flesh-toned pair just in case.
What kind of bra do you wear with a halter dress?
You can wear a bra with a halter fastening or a strapless bra with a halter dress, depending on the back and how deep the plunge is at the front. You could also choose stick-on bra cups if the bodice is very revealing or asymmetrical.